Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Prop 8 2008

Was anyone this far of the west coast paying attention to what was going on in California during this election? Probably not. People like me were too concerned with the "racial" issue of this presidential election. But, this was something that caught my eye.

So, for those of you who don't know: Proposition 8 was set in motion to reneg on their lovely gay marriage passage (or however you want to phrase it). Ever since the loop hole was found for gays to wed people have been in an uproar trying to squash it.

One of my biggest problems about this whole thing is the idea of the separation of chuch and state. Hello? So, since when did the government have a right to butt in on the sanctity of marriage? I honestly think that homosexuals should have a way to obtain the same rights as those of married couples. Okay, so some churches won't marry them and the religions won't honor it...get another church/religion. Can’t always have your wedding cake and eat it too.

Marriage to the government is just a legal document anyway. Heteros get married for bs reasons (like military members marrying for extra government funding – happens all the time). So why can’t people who care about each other, but happen to have the same genitalia, be able to get tax breaks too?

Okay, and this isn’t about “marriage”. It’s about equal rights. Call it whatever you want. I honestly don’t care. “Marriage” has always been a religious thing and I think it should stay that way. I understand that under my religious background the marriage of two people of the same sex doesn’t happen traditionally. But, that doesn’t mean that I can’t fight for people’s rights. I almost look at this the same way I do racism or sexism.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. I want me some happiness!

No comments: