Tuesday, October 7, 2008

National Health Care?

With the passing of the bailout I assumed that most people would be in an uproar (not surprisingly) and go that direction for this assignment. So, naturally I wanted to go down a different path.

Why Can't We Have Health Care?

The author makes a valid stance on her opinion that the U.S. needs to catch up with the rest of the world in terms of health care. I feel safe in not questioning her credibility since this is an easily generalized and researched topic (though I know she’s just a woman with a point of view). Her intended audience is everyone old enough to worry about health insurance.
I actually had a discussion with a couple friends of mine over this same subject just the other night. On the surface I would have to agree with the author (as was my argument the other evening). The population of the U.S. has a vast number of uninsured individuals and becomes increasingly more unaffordable. Plus, with “free” health care individuals would be more likely to take care of medical problems sooner rather than later (which could ensure prompt diagnoses and could potentially avoid costly procedures).
But, as my friends and I continued our conversation they opened my eyes to some of the harsh realities of making this work. Firstly, our health is the most important thing to each of us. Period. I personally would not want a government organization setting up and running something so complex when I look around and see how inefficiently our government agencies run. Especially with this bailout. Secondly, if I have something severely wrong with me I’m going to want to be able to get the best doctors I can afford to fix it. We have doctors specializing in their fields coming here from all over the world because in America their talents are aptly rewarded. What happens when we can’t dangle a carrot in front of their noses?
Also, nothing comes free. How do you think this national health care plan will be funded? The government might look like its picking up the tab, but in reality (just like with everything else) the tax payers are the ones with their credit cards on the table. And, how is it fair that healthy individuals should have to pay for health care for chain smokers and the morbidly obese? Plus, with the American lifestyle the way it is it will be more costly to the society to keep up with the medical problems. Therefore, higher taxes might be placed on cigarettes or alcohol and restrictions might be put in place concerning fast food etc.
I do feel that health insurance costs are getting out of hand. And I know that with the bill in the bailout concerning mental illnesses this will only get worse. Something must be done. I just don’t feel that a national health care system is the answer. Unfortunately, I don’t have a suggestion since I don’t have the qualifications and information to make one.

No comments: